... but not the apostle Paul. (Although that too...)
I was just reading Paul's most recent post about how happy he is with where his life is right now. I know Paul likes to hear this no matter what, and probably thinks people say it more often than we actually do, but I wish I was more like Paul. I would really like to be able to say so confidently that I am happy with where my life is. But I'm not. I mean, I am content enough and I am not miserable or anything, but I get frustrated when I think about where I want to be and where I am now. There seems to be a huge fault line between the two and I can't see how I am going to get from here to there.
I was talking about this with my small group the other night and I think a big part of what is discouraging me is that I was so sure that I knew, or at least had some inkling, of where God was leading me. And now I am not going in that direction and I am not sure if it is because God is taking me somewhere else first or because I am missing what He is trying to do to get me there.
I wish life came with road signs. Signs like "Detour ahead" or "bumpy road, next 5km" would be really helpful! I think signs like "The Place you want to be, 32kms" or "GO LEFT!!!" would make life easier! Of course then there are fewer surprises, but I know a lot of people who drive without reading the signs, so if you wanted surprises you could just do that. Or maybe there are road signs and I am one of those drivers. Sigh.
Wherever God is taking me, I do know I need to work on my attitude. I have to make a more intentional effort to have a better attitude about what is going on in my life. Not easily done when what is going on is scanning food. A monkey could do my job.
Hang in there, I'm cheering (and praying) for you!
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I don't have any neon signs for you. I'll let you know if I find any of yours.
I know how it is with the "monkey could do my job" place. It's hard to get past that sometimes. My sister once told me that even if you feel like you're in a place temporarily, it's important to put yourself out there, join things and volunteer (which, I think you're doing). I find it hard advice to follow, but I gotta say that once I started working with youth, alot of things just kinda fell into place.
ReplyDeleteGO LEFT!!!!
ReplyDelete