Thursday, May 10, 2007

struggling with disappointment

So last night was the second of our two movie night fundraisers. We rented out a local movie theatre, the Princess, and showed the movie Shooting Dogs. This is a terrific movie about the first few days of the Rwandan Genocide - well done and very challenging. See it if you have the chance! Anyway, we were expecting quite a few people. We had been advertising and telling lots of people about it and a lot of people had said they would come. We worked hard to put it together and then the turnout was incredibly disappointing. We covered the cost of renting out the theatre, but didn't make very much more than that. I am struggling not to get discouraged. People who came enjoyed the movie, learned stuff and showed us a lot of support. The people at the theatre were great and helped us out a lot. We had fun as a team hanging out and working together. So there is a lot of good that came from it. I guess with the success of the dinner and auction over the weekend we were looking forward to another successful fundraiser and that didn't happen. On the happy side, we did find out that the overall cost of the trip is lower than we first thought so the pressure of this less than stellar fundraiser isn't so bad.

3 comments:

  1. *hugs* I hate low turnouts. I've been getting a lot of miserable turnouts from my teenagers at work lately, it makes me wonder why I bother putting on events when only 3 kids come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is silly. I just assumed that the theatre would be full on Wednesday because of all the people who said they would come and weren't there on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought so too Steph!! It is hard to work so hard on something and then have so few people participate.

    ReplyDelete