Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Time is running!

I have been kept very busy lately with work. For the past three weeks I have been leading various trainings around the country. It meant that I got to see more of Rwanda than just Kigali and the Bugesera region where we've been working. The northern part of the country has very magestic mountains and is a little chilly way up on top of them! The southern part still has hills and mountains but for the most part they seem a little more subtle somehow. Now I am back in the main office realizing how much is left to be done before I leave! Our evaluation plan, our semi annual report, a couple of other reports and we have to figure out what we want to do for our community level trainings that will start (hopefully) at the end of april. Of course I won't be here for those, but deciding on what they will be about, how they will look and so on is still important. Also, I need to help review annual operating plans with the ADPs we are working with which will take some time as well.

On top of all of this, I want to spend time with friends, go to places I haven't yet been and do things I haven't been able to do. And I have less than two weeks to do it all!! But I figure sleep is something that can be saved for the flight home:)

I have been meeting a lot of new people in the last couple of weeks. I started going to an expat bible study and all of a sudden I have tons of muzungu friends - a weird thing for me since most of my friend here have been Rwandese! It is a little sad that I found this bible study and all these friends just before I am leaving, but at the same time if I had had the security of these friendships from the beginning my relationships with my Rwandese friends might not have been so important.

Even though I am very busy and have so much to do, I am starting to feel restless and a little stir crazy. I am looking forward to the change of scene that going home will provide and the freedom of mobility is an exciting prospect. Here, to get anywhere takes planning and time, especially since I don't take moto taxis anymore! I love it here still - and am really sad about leaving, but as the day gets closer I feel more and more that it is actually time for me to go home. That is not to say that I won't be back!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've had a good time, and also that you're looking forward to what comes next! That must be a nice place to be (emotionally) at the end of your term.

    ReplyDelete