Monday, March 17, 2008

Homeward Bound

I always forget how much I actually hate airports until I have to spend time in them. I was in Nairobi for 7 hours yesterday and now am sitting in Amsterdam killing time for another six hours. At least there is free wireless here!!

My last couple of days in Rwanda were really hectic. Thursday night there was a goodbye dinner for me at the ADP in Nyamata where I have been spending about half my time. It was really great. The food wasn't so good but lots of fanta. But they gave me presents- had trouble packing it all! and one of the guys I worked with, Etienne, wrote a three page poem. I didn't understand all of it but what I did get was really funny. Friday afternoon there was a farewell function at the head office - more formal with lots of speeches but also more gifts. Iwas really surprised by the gifts. I don't know why but I wasn't expecting it at all! Then I went home and found all my friends waiting for me in my sitting room. Pip had planned a surprise party for me and I was really surprised. Apparently I am incredibly oblivious! It was a lot of fun and it was really great to hang out with friends and just relax.
Saturday we went to a wedding and I packed. I am amazed that I actually fit everything into my bags. I left a lot of things behind so I'm not sure what took up so much room. Although I did buy a table so that would be part of it:)

Yesterday I went to the airport with an entourage - two cars full of people saw me off. It was really nice but it was hard not to cry. Then I got on the plane to go home. I should probably start reflecting and processing - I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the west and I'm just in an airport. But I'm too tired! Five and a half hours here, then 8hrs on a plane and then I am home. Coming off the plane here in Amsterdam I nearly froze and we didn't even have to go outside! Not looking forward to the snow at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment