




Well, Finally! A blog and it has pictures on it!! At least a few. More will come later. I haven't the patience to do anymore tonight! They didn't even come up in the right order, but seeing as it took me an hour to get them on, I'm not going to fight with it!!
The first one is a group of my kids and me. The second is more of the kids - they LOVE posing for the camera!! The third is a poinsetta the size of my hand (!!!) near where Brian and Lynelle live. The plants they have here are crazy! The fourth picture is of the children's home where I am working, the buildings are where the kids live. Both the pictures with the kids are taken there too. The last picture is of a Bird of Paradise bush. I love these flowers and at home they are expensive and exotic, but here they are commonplace and you find them everywhere - even in my yard here!! I promise to put more pictures up really soon. I have tons to put up, but they take forever!!
So, now you can see a little of where I am and what it is like here in South Africa. I have now been here just over a month and am starting to feel quiet comfortable. Well, most of the time. :) For those who don't know, I am here working in a children's home teaching english. I have two classes and a total of about 35 kids. They are really great and really make all the loneliness and language difficulty worth it. I am living at the home which is in a village called Ngqeleni about 30kms from Umthatha, in the Eastern Cape Province. I am the only white person in my village which means I get stared at wherever I go. It has been very interesting for me, someone who is much more comfortable blending in and staying behind the scenes, to be the centre of attention most of the time. I find that it, along with being surrounded by people speaking a language I don't understand, makes me rather tired! I know I have talked to many of you online or through email and so most of you know that I have been homesick. It is gradually getting better and happens less and less often. I really am enjoying myself!
That is all for tonight. Cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment