Friday, October 21, 2005

A fun day in Nqeleni

I had a really great day today. The local school where a lot of the younger kids I work with attend had a beauty pageant today. Very unfeminist and an affront against all of us liberated women, but there was a category for guys too. :) It was really fun. Of course, they put me up on stage in the front. Wherever I go I am in the front. No blending into the background here! I'm still getting used to it. Anyway, during breaks while people were getting ready some of the kids got up on stage and started dancing. These kids can move!! It was so much fun watching them, several of them were from Mzomtsha, breakdancing and busting a move. It was a very loud afternoon but very fun.
I should go, a church service is starting right outside the door of the office. A local team has started having church services in our hall twice a week, wednesday and friday evenings. I go most of the time even though I don't understand most of what is said. If I'm lucky the superintendant has time to interpret, or one of the students whoes english is good enough does it. Most of the time I just listen and try to interpret for myself based on the pastor's hand gestures. Sometimes they are good enough for me to actually have a clue! But the best part is the singing. Some of the songs I know in english, or oddly enough in some other African language (Syahumba and Akuna Akaita are good examples) but mostly I just listen when they sing in isiXhosa. But they do sing in english often enough so it is nice.
Ok, that's all from me tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment