Monday, June 11, 2012

First Day of Work


Today was my first day of work at my new job. I spent the morning meeting everyone in the office. They were all very welcoming and were very glad to hear that my position was finally filled.

So what is my position you might ask. Good question! It is slightly different than what I was originally told it was but it will be an interesting learning experience for sure. My title is something like Resource Development Intern and my main role is to help with Grant acquisitions. So I will be working on project proposals and liaising with funding sources such as the Dutch and French Embassies, the EU, the European Commission and the World Bank. So.... no pressure! Part of my job is not much different from what I have done in the past. I have read and worked on a number of project and grant proposals in the past but I have never been the main author of any of them. Or even one of the main authors. It is a little intimidating but I feel like I am up to the challenge and can do this part of my job very well. The other part, interacting with the funding giants like the World Bank, this I am still a bit unsure about. Again, I am looking forward to the challenge but at the same time there is a lot of pressure. This is a small program with a small budget here in Burundi and any extra funding and grants would go a long way to making a difference in what can be done here. Unfortunately Burundi has been largely ignored by the donor community and many of those that had been working here are leaving, or have left. This puts organizations like mine in a difficult position. The need is great, but the resources are very few. Hopefully I can help....

I went out for lunch with three colleagues to a restaurant on the shore of Lake Tanganyika where we watched two young hippos playing in the shallow water.  Next time I will try to remember my camera. There was a short wall and a two lane road between us and the hippos but it was really cool to watch. The breeze off the lake was really refreshing and sitting in the garden of the restaurant it hit me. I’m back in Africa!! My job is going to be a challenge, I probably only remember four names of the 50 people I met this morning and my new city is still a complete mystery to me. But I’m living in Africa so as long as I get the occasional lunch with hippos I think I’ll be ok!

No comments:

Post a Comment