When I first started telling people that I got a job in
Burundi I was met with a lot of confusion. Most people had very little idea where Burundi actually
was. While at least four people thought it was in India, most people knew it
was somewhere in Africa but had no idea where.
So, I thought I would use this opportunity to educate you all about this
tiny, beautiful country.
Burundi is a small country located in East Africa. It is
bordered by Rwanda to the North, Tanzania to the East and South and the
Democratic Republic of Congo to the West. The tiny country has a population of
somewhere around 8 million people, most of whom live in the rural hills as
subsistence farmers. The capital city is called Bujumbura and is located right
on the north eastern shore of Lake Tanganyika. This lake is large enough to
have a small tide and lots of sandy gorgeous beaches. It is also home to hippos
and crocodiles.
Burundi has just emerged from a 13 year long civil war and
has had several conflicts, wars, coups and assassinations since its
independence in 1961. The peace is still unstable and the country has a lot of
obstacle still to face. A staggering 56% *of the population is aged 18 or below
and one in every five people are children under 5 years of age. This means
there is a huge burden on the under equipped education system and that the
majority of the population is not being ‘productive’ in the economy. However,
it also means that there is an overwhelming amount of potential for such a
young country filled with so much promise.
The average life expectancy at birth of a Burundian born in
the early 1970s was 44 years. By 1992, the average Burundian could expect to
live almost ten years longer to the age of 54. But by 1999, average life
expectancy had dropped to a new low of 43 years. In 2004, this had barely moved
with an average life expectancy of 46.6 years. Maternal mortality rates have
risen more than 82% since 1992 with an estimated 800 maternal deaths to every
100,000 live births, and infant mortality rate is as high as 106/1000.
Mortality rates in children who are less than five years old is a whooping
385/1000 – this is more than twice the global average. In development these
statistics are important indicators for the overall health of a population and
of the health care system. I know my
friends who are doulas, midwives and who work in maternal health will find
these statistics especially striking, and heartbreaking.
Burundi has two, and in some places three growing seasons
and there is rain about 60% of the year. It is hard to believe that such a
lush, green country can struggle to feed itself but only about 28% of the
population is ‘food secure.’ That means that a full 75% of the population faces
times throughout the year where they don’t have enough food. There are high
levels of chronic malnutrition, especially in children, all over the country. When
children don’t have enough to eat, or are missing basic nutrition, they are
more susceptible to disease, they don’t develop properly and they have trouble
concentrating and learning in school. People were displaced during the war,
leaving their land untended. Infrastructure such as roads was destroyed making
buying new seeds and equipment difficult and taking product to market
challenging. The rain patterns are changing here because of climate change. All
of this adds up to serious challenges in meeting this densely populated country’s
food needs.
Burundi faces a lot of challenges. But it holds a great deal
of promise as well. The people are resilient, friendly and creative. Burundians
are multilingual with people in Bujumbura speaking Kirundi, Swahili, French and
now more and more, English. There is a lot of potential for growth. This
country is a tourists dream. But there is a lot of work to be done.
I am spending my days reading reports about my organizations
work here in Burundi and it is encouraging. But I am also spending my days
reading about, and meeting about, all the needs there are. There are so many
things we want to do, that we are trying to do, but as much as WV is a huge
organization world wide, we are very small in Burundi and we have a very small
budget. There are limits to what we can do with it. So I am spending my days
trying to figure out how we can better partner with other organizations here,
and how we can win grants from donors to improve and expand our work. I spend
my days reading these heartbreaking statistics while I am cocooned in the
relative wealth in the capital city. I struggle with opening my heart to the
poverty, suffering and challenges of the people here while at the same time
guarding it so that I am not overwhelmed. It is an ongoing struggle, but one I
welcome.
*the
statistics I have used in this post come from internal organizational documents
but are based on figures from various annual reports from the UNDP, as well as
from the World Bank and the Government of Burundi. If you have questions about
the exact sources please let me know and I will give you proper citations.
Thanks for the helpful information. I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete