Sunday morning I was getting ready for church when the ground moved. The shelves in the dining room shook and the bed I was sitting on shuddered. My heart went into my throat. The tremor was hardly noticeable actually – at first we thought a big truck had driven by or something, but it was a weird feeling. Later it was confirmed that it has been an earthquake. The epicentre was about 100km from Kigali along the Rwanda-Congo border. Apparently it measured somewhere around a 5 on the Richter Scale. Just over 40 people were killed, last I heard, and a couple hundred injured. Nine people were killed when their church collapsed. Here in Kigali there was no damage or injuries at all.
There was some concern about aftershocks and so it was advised that people spend Sunday night outdoors. Since my roommate Pip was out of town I slept outside with my landlord’s family. Aside from the mosquitoes, it was actually kind of fun. It was a good thing I didn’t have to work on Monday though, because none of us really slept very well!
No comments:
Post a Comment