Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Talking in Circles
I am leading a workshop with Apollo my boss, for World Vision staff in the Northern Region - close to the Ugandan border. Apollo starts the workshop by welcoming and introducing in Kinya-Rwanda, the local language. Then he turns and translates for me the general idea of what was said. Then I give a presentation on Systems Approaches in French and when a question is asked or discussion is raised I turn and translate to Apollo into English who responds in Kinya-Rwanda and then translates what he said for me into English. This gets very tiring!! But at the same time I love that these workshops are effectively tri-lingual. I leave not knowing if I am thinking in English or in French until I start talking in the wrong language to someone who only speaks the other language.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love languages. I should learn more. And I should be fluent in more of the languages I know already. *sigh*
ReplyDelete