On my way to Zambia before Christmas I spent the night in Nairobi - my flight to Lusaka left early in the morning and there were no flights from kigali that would get me there in time so the trip took two days. My taxi driver chatted with me about the upcoming election. He liked the current president but acknowledged that a lot of people wanted change. He thought the elections would be close, but he didn't think there would be any trouble.
Last week Kenyans went to the polls and it appears that the incumbant won, but the opposition is claiming that the election was fixed. He has encouraged protests and rallies in the capital and these have led to increasing violence. In addition to this supporters of the opposition leader, Railaa Odinga seem to have started a campaign against members of Mwai Kibaki, the current president's ethnic group. A church in the town of Eldoret was burned with hunderds of people inside. It brings images of what happened in Rwanda to mind.
The international community is urging talks between the president and opposition leader, but Kibaki has so far refused. The violence is spreading across the country and it is especially disturbing considering Kenya's relatively peaceful reputation.
I am currently on my way home from Zambia, once again spending the night in Nariobi. This time I stayed in the airport, not venturing into the city. My parents worry enough without me hanging out in a virtual war zone. It is weird though since the airport seems virtually unaffected by the situation outside. Maybe the lack of food in the cafeteria is a result of the situation, but it could just be the way things are here.
My flight leaves in a little more than an hour. I am looking forward to being back in Kigali but will be watching what is happening here closely. Let us hope that what has happened in so many countries in the region does not happen to Kenya - let us hope the world can speak out and play a role in restoring peace before more people are killed.
I was wondering if you would end up going back that way. I was concerned when I saw that you had posted you'd be back in Nairobi...but I'm glad you are staying in the airport. Post again soon so we know you are safe!
ReplyDeleteStupid wars and violence and politics make my head hurt. I often feel very overwhelmed at the complexity of such issues and I have no idea how to make things better, or if that's even possible. Basically, I want humanity to just smarten up already.
ReplyDelete