Sunday, December 02, 2007

A taste of poverty

So I'm getting a lesson in what it means to actually be poor. Thursday night I went out to a restaurant with some friends and my wallet was stollen. Whether someone actually took it from my bag or if I left it on the table and someone 'found' it is as yet unclear, but the fact remains I have no money. Unfortunately I had both of my credit cards in my wallet at the time. I was planning to go to the bank that day (my only access to money is through my credit cards) but got held up in line at the post office so never actually got there. So both my credit cards, my driver's liscence and my emergency health insurance card are all gone.

I now have about 175$ to last me until my cards can be replaced and sent to me here. I am not completely penniless, and this is more money than a lot of people here make in a year. However the whole experience has taught me a lot about how I view money. I have never thought of myself as particularily materialistic and I am careful with my money,but as I try to figure out how to stretch this money - transportation, food, electricity, airtime for my cell, water etc - I realize how much I have taken for granted. Thankfully my apartment is paid for by work, but food isn't. I can't book my trip to Zambia without a credit card so now my plans are on hold until they are replaced - hopefully in less than three weeks so I can still go!

I am trying to keep a good attitude and see this as a learning opportunity and to lean on God for things, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:52 pm

    Lo, that sucks so much. I hope that you get your credit cards soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a minute to figure out that your wallet was STOLEN, as in taken and not STOLLEN, as in cake.

    But seriously though, that is the poops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sucks. I hope it all works out okay!

    Steph, you're funny.

    ReplyDelete