My last post seemed a little whiny. I have a job at zehrs, and right now I am temping at my friend Pam's office as an office lackey and tonight I had a great family dinner and no one fought at all. It was lovely. So my little world is really great.
The rest of the world seems to have gone to shit.
I finally watched the movie Hotel Rwanda tonight. Having read Romeo Dallaire's book as well as several others on the subject and having studied the conflict in a few of my classes at school, I knew what I would see. That did not stop me from again being surprised at the extent to which people can hurt eachother. Of course this movie shows the courage of the people who worked to stop the conflict and save lives, but it is mind numbing to think about what has to happen for a nation to descend into that kind of hell.
Now with the terrorist plot uncovered in the UK and the war in Israel/Lebonon and in Israel/Palistine as well as all the wars still raging in Africa that are ignored by the rest of the world - Sudan, DRC,Western Sahara,Somolia and others - it is heartbreaking and incomprehensible.
Sometimes, given what I have studied and what we are bombarded with in the media, I can get overwhelmed with the magnitude of what is wrong with our world. It seems hopeless, like no matter what good cannot win. One war ends, another begins. One nation or community or family, is able to pull itself out of the mire and begin to be better, more peaceful and good but another is pulled down. It is easy for me to forget that there is hope, that Good has already won. Our world is still in bondage to sin, but the ropes have been cut and it is only a matter of time.
Am I a horrible person because thinking about all that crap makes me want to stick my head in the sand and pretend everything's fine?
ReplyDeleteNo, it doesn't make you a horrible person. Its just human. but everything isn't fine. We talk about social justice and our upside down kingdom, but we don't live in that reality yet so we need to work on the reality we live in. It isn't all bad but justice doesn't happen with our heads in the sand.
ReplyDelete