Can you be nostalgic about something before it is over? I have been feeling a little nostalgic about my time here in South Africa. It is almost over! Only three weeks left. So I have been thinking about some of the things I will miss, what I will not miss and my favourite places here in SA.
Things I will miss:
1) MY KIDS!! watching them learn, learning from them, hanging out with them and watching them. 2) Living in 'Rural' SA - waking up to roosters, having cows and goats wandering around everywhere, the stars, the smells, the rain, the people, walking into the village to the post office or to get something from the shops with the kids. 3) The beach! 4) Learning something new everyday. A new Xhosa word, something new about Xhosa culture or SA history or about the people I work with. 5) Seeing new things every day - a new kind of bird, a new plant, a strange and interesting sight at the side of the road (ie old man peeing, goats doing goat things, and odd piece of garbage etc) 6) African Time - it is more relaxed and laid back here. 7) Combies - you meet the most interesting people when you are squashed together!! ...and much more!!
Things I will not miss:
1) getting buckets of rain water to fill my bath, WHILE IT IS RAINING. 2) The Food. It is not too bad, but everyday for nearly 8 months and you can get sick of anything! 3) Living in 'Rural' SA - no newspaper, iffy running water and feeling cut off.
4) African Time - it is so hard to get anything done!
5) Having no one to talk to. In fact, people may have trouble shutting me up or getting rid of me once I get home!
My Favourite Places:
1) The hall where I teach.
2) The patio behind the hall where I teach
3) the valley and hills behind Mzomtsha
4) Port St. John's, Coffee Bay, Cintsa, Umdumbi and all the other beaches
5) Total Garage in Umtata - the middle of everything!
6) The shower at Joe and Anna's/Brian and Lynell's house - ah the luxery!
7) The front patio at Joe and Anna's/Brian and Lynell's house
But I still have three weeks left. Nine classes with my oldest group, six with the youngest, six planned recreation sessions and a week with the kids off school where I will get to be with them even more. So, no more time to be nostalgic! It's not over yet!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment