Tuesday, August 05, 2008

August Long Weekend

I really enjoyed my long weekend. It kind of snuck up on me so I didn't have any exciting plans. At first I was a little sad about this - I should have gotten it together and gone camping or had some such adventures but instead I hung out in town. Saturday was just a relaxing day of catching up on some movies everyone else on the planet has seen except me, doing some gardening and reading on my back porch in the sun. I went to the market in the morning and stuffed my fridge full of fresh local produce and then went to my garden and got some more.

Sunday was a really fun day. Church was great with a great message that reminded me why I love my church. Then I went out for lunch with a group of friends. Hanging out on a patio while eating breakfast food is a good way to spend sunday lunch hour! Frisbee and a trip to 2nd cup for a yummy lemonade drink followed lunch. I actually bruised my hand playing frisbee which is silly and we got lots of sun. My usual sunday evening small group was reduced to two so we hung out and watched episodes of 'The Tick' and talking until 1am. I really need to get better at keeping track of time! In all it was one of my favourite days I've had in awhile. Monday included a really yummy lunch out with Steph, again out in the sun on the patio, an afternoon of reading CS Lewis and then coffee out with Jen.

I have had a number of conversations recently about good books. It has reminded me that I love reading and need to make more time for good literature. So I am currently reading The Great Divorce which I apparently have never read before even though it is on my book shelf. It is crazy good and I think I will probably read it twice just to make sure I am getting it. It has reminded me in turn that I should read more George Macdonald (Judi hooked me up back in school but I forgot about him) and maybe some Milton. And of course more of CS Lewis. Somehow I have never read his Miracles or Abolition of Man either. I think I need more long weekends and time to catch my breath. Work doesn't keep me crazy busy but somehow with all the commuting and trying to fit in daily life I forget to breathe. I don't take enough relaxing lunches or coffee dates. I may spend a little too much time talking with friends until all hours but I'm good with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment