Monday, July 28, 2008

End of an era

We have had a cat in our house since I was five years old. We got Buddy from a family friend's farm and spent all day chasing him around the barn before we found him asleep under a trough in the loft. We got Lucky when she was found under the hood of a car at my uncle's Garage. She had been on the manifold of the engine all the way from Barrie and was a little singed and a little unhinged from the experience. For a long time she was very skittish and a little stupid. But she was so pretty that we forgave her weird quirks. As time went on she settled down and was only skittish around strangers. She became very cuddly and demanded attention by sitting on books and sprawling across keyboards. She slept in my bed whenever I was home but settled for my parents bed when I was away.

Lucky has been sick for a couple of months and this past week she died. She was around 13 years old.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of her recently
She is super cute!

We have had cats around for so long that it is weird adjusting to the empty house. There is no food dish by the back door, no sudden movements in the corner of your eye, no animal demanding attention or wanting to cuddle, and no cat hair on your clothes, furniture, floors etc. ( this last part is not really a bad thing...) It will take some getting used to!

3 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    Aaron's parents still have photos of Sasha on their fridge. He died in our 3rd year at CMU. They never got another cat, so they have an empty house too. Anyway, the next time I see photos of Sasha, I'll think of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh laura, i'm so sad for you! big hugs. i hope you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoLo - It's amazing how much presence a little animal can have. Big hugs to you. How sweet that you were able to get some good pics to keep of Lucky. Much love!

    ReplyDelete