I've been doing a lot of reading lately. For my trip to Rwanda we have been encouraged to read about the genocide and anything else we can find about the country. Right now I am reading a book called the Bishop of Rwanda.It is written by a Rwandan bishop and looks at what happened during the genocide in 1994, but it also looks at the way God was present there, how forgiveness and healing are rebuilding the country. It is really encouraging and powerful.
Also I am reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. Steph has written about this in her blog and it really is a dangerous book. It is also a book that has taken much longer for me to read than I thought. I have been accused of "eating" or "inhaling" books because I generally read so quickly. This book however takes a lot of digestion so I can only read it in small chunks at a time. It is challenging but it is also comforting. One of my favourite parts so far is where he talks about the gospel as being unsafe. He suggests that maybe being in God's will is not the "safe" place that we are told it is. Even today in church the pastor of Grace suggested that when we find God's will things get easy. Let me tell you, I am not finding this easy!!
On a lighter note, I got the compete works of Jane Austin from my sister for Christmas. It includes a book that I have never read before called Lady Susan that I have just started. So far it is pretty good - not Pride and Prejudice, but good :)
When Dad was at the British Museum he got a computer program that has a bunch of original texts that you can look through, and one of them is the first volume Jane Austen ever penned. It's a parody of the History of England and it is SO FUNNY. You can have it read by a girl who sounds just how I imagine Jane would have sounded. I think you would love it.
ReplyDeleteThat is all. I miss you.
Laura, I've read the Irresitable Revolution too, and it is a very dangerous book. I had a hard time reading it, but I loved it so much. I took notes. *geeks*
ReplyDelete~Steph N