I’ve been thinking a lot lately about a lot of things. Let
me try and get some of them out. Bear with me!
First, my current position will come to an end on December
20th and it won’t be renewed. My position is covering for someone
else who was working for another office for a year and he has decided to stay
there. They are reposting my position but they have changed the qualifications
which means that I’m not qualified for the job I’m currently doing. This is
frustrating and discouraging and while I understand that the direction of the
organization is changing and so they are trying to hire the “right” people,
I feel like I should be the “right” person. It is frustrating but I don’t have
any bad feelings about my organization or my boss. I am trying to see this as an opportunity and a good learning experience.
So this leaves me in a familiar place of having to figure
out what is next. I have been here before and I have learned over and over
again that God is faithful. I really want to know what the plan is, what the
big picture is and what my life will look like 5 years from now. Even thought I've been here before, I want control, security and to Know.
My small group back in Halifax talked about how our lives
are a little like those connect-the-dots pictures you find in colouring books
for kids. God knows what the picture looks like, but we only get to see the
next dot.
The Psalmist talks about the Word of God being a light to
his path and a lamp to his feet. I was reminded recently that he wouldn’t need
a light or a lamp if he could see the path clearly in front of him.
Martin Luther King Jr. is quoted as saying that “faith is
taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase.”
Part of me actually loves this. It might mean that I should
get my head checked but part of me likes the variety and the unknown and new
places and new things. Every time I’ve found myself in this position the next
thing has always been great. Last time I was here I ended up in Burundi, and
while that was hard it was also great. The time before that I ended up in
Halifax doing my Masters. Also hard, but great. So I know that whatever is
next, God has a plan and it may be hard but it will be great. A new place,
(city, workplace, country who knows!), new people and a new challenge.
Exploring a new place, settling into a new apartment and learning a new job.
All of this is exciting and challenging and makes me happy and I enjoy it.
But part of me hates this. Part of me would like to stay in
one place and be able to have routines and traditions. I watch my friends
buying houses and having kids and settling into the rhythm of their lives and I
get jealous. I would love to set down roots, have my own space that I can
decorate and actually unpack all the boxes that are currently hiding in random
places in my parents’ house and know that I will get to stay there and that my
things will stay where I put them and I won’t have to pack them and move again.
I want to have a vegetable garden and grow things and maybe can things knowing
that I will be around to eat the things that I can. I want to connect with people and build new relationshipos. The idea of roots, of
belonging to a place is so attractive to me.
I don’t know if I’ll
ever figure out how to balance these sides of me but I don’t think I’m ready to
choose one side over the other. In the meantime, I’ll continue to have faith
that whatever is next will be great, even if it is hard. I’ll continue to take
the next steps, remembering that God knows where the staircase is heading even
when I don’t. I’ll remind myself that I don’t need to belong to a place,
because I belong to Christ.
I so admire your willingness to be open to what God has in store for you next. I can relate to the frustration of not being able to see more than a "dot" or two ahead, but as you said, you have had the opportunity for some amazing adventures, and I've often been jealous of your travels and your freedom (the grass is always greener, eh?).
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying that your next steps become clear very soon, and that you can find a place to settle in and call your own :)