Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Best Laid Plans, or Welcome Back to my Blog

Things never go according to plan. At least, things don't go according to my plans.... It is a good thing that Someone Else has a different plan and it is always better than what I plan for myself. My plan for this summer was to hang out in Halifax, go to the beach, and to see more of the beautiful province of Nova Scotia before I moved back to Ontario at the end of August. Of course I would also be working on my thesis during all of this as well as working part time at Bath and Body Works, but mostly I was really looking forward to a chill summer in a city that I have come to really love. I thought I would take advantage of the student lifestyle for one more summer before seriously looking for work. That was my plan.

I got a phone call in early May, on a Monday afternoon, from a former coworker at World Vision Canada. He had heard about a position open at World Vision Burundi that he thought I would fit well with. They needed someone right away, would I be interested? After a very brief phone interview with the HR person in Burundi and a few negotiations about when I would start it was official. I had a 6 month contract as a Project Officer in a trainee position with World Vision Burundi. This was God's plan.

I am still working on letting go of some of my own plans for this summer. I already miss Halifax and the friends I left behind there. At the same time I am really excited about this new adventure. A new challenge, a new job, a new country. Of course I am nervous too - a new city, a new language, new people and all so very far away from home. I am confident though that my experiences in Rwanda will help make this transition easier, and I will only be a 6-8 hour bus ride away from Kigali. I am confident that my education and training will serve me well in my new job, and I am confident that I will get some good work on my thesis done as well. But above all, I am confident that this is the path that God has laid out for me, that this is the next 'dot' in the connect-the-dots picture that is my life.

I have taken this blog with me all my adventures over the past several years. It has gotten a bit of a face lift and I am looking forward to adding more to it over the next 6 months. I am blessed to have so many people who care about me and who are interested in what I will be doing. This blog is my way of connecting with all of you. I will use it to share stories and pictures of my life in Burundi, my thoughts about living and working there, and whatever else comes up. Because my faith is so closely linked to who I am and to how I see the world it will inevitably play a significant role in what is written on this blog. I recognize that not everyone who visits this blog will share my faith and it is not my intention to use this blog to preach at or to anyone. I hope that this blog can be taken in the spirit in which it is written and I welcome any discussion either in the comments section or through facebook or email.

Thank you for taking this adventure with me. I am excited to see where it takes me and to share some of it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment