At small group on Sunday night we were discussing how we often have to distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and our own instincts, our own voice. I mentioned that my contract was coming to an end at WV and didn't know what was next. I was given Psalm 130 which is basically, wait and hope, hope and wait.
Well I didn't have to wait long! I had a meeting on wednesday morning with my boss about the different projects I'm working on and then he brought up the questions I hadn't really asked yet - what comes next. I now have three exciting options, although none of these is approved or final and I haven't accepted anything. I'm trying to think and pray about these to figure out where the spirit is leading.
Option #1: I have been the junior project officer for Chad for the last two months. There is an opportunity for me to spend 3-6 months in Chad essentially doing many of the same things I've been doing, except I'll be in Chad. I'd also be doing a lot of capacity building and it would be an amazing learning experience and a good challenge. It would also look nice on my CV:) However, Chad is not the most secure country and it comes with many challenges I am not sure I want to face.
Option #2: There may be an opportunity for a placement of 12-18 months in Rwanda starting in October. Of course I am jumping for this placement and would love it so so much!
Option #3: I do both. This has not really been suggested by my boss or anything, but it would solve the problem of trying to decide. I could go to Chad for 3-4 months and then go to Rwanda. It would mean that I may be gone almost two years so there would be plenty of time for people to come visit...
So it is entirely possible that one or all of these options may fall through, but it is equally possible that I will be back in Africa before the summer is over. Obviously I want to take option #2 and return to Rwanda but it isn't as easy a decision as I thought it would be. Chad would be crazy difficult compared to anything I've done to date and if you'd asked me two months ago if I wanted to go to Chad I would have adamently said no. Now I feel like it is something I need to consider so if I am not able to do both I will have to choose between these. So maybe I am still waiting and hoping for more direction after all!
Wow! Laura, I'm just crazy impressed and jealous and grateful that you have so many opportunities to do what you LOVE in ways that advance your "career" in IDS. You're my hero.
ReplyDelete....well? How are all the opportunities and decisions playing out?
ReplyDelete