In some ways it really is a small world, but when your
family is thousands of kilometers away and something sad happens, the world
seems achingly huge. My grandfather died this weekend.
He was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago but went
into remission and had been doing better. Recently he had started getting worse
again, with a series of infections and having a lot of pain in his back. The
cancer was back. He was admitted into hospice only about a week ago, and this
weekend he passed away. We celebrated my Dad’s 60th birthday the last
weekend I was home in Canada, and my grandpa was well enough to come. It was
cold and rainy so he sat inside near the patio door with a blanket and held
court while people came to visit with him. It was a really good day.
My sister sent me a text message today at 4am (I don’t think
she was thinking about the time difference, or that I use my phone as an alarm)
telling me that she is going to say something at the funeral on Wednesday, and
was there anything I wanted her to say on my behalf.
So, I've been thinking about him, and about what I would say
if I were there. I'm really not sure. I've been thinking about how I'm glad I
got to go visit with him after my dentist appointment in June. My dentist is in
the same small town where he lived. I also think about when I hugged him
goodbye at dad's birthday party. He held on longer and squeezed tighter than
normal. I told him I would come see him when I was home in September.
I've also been thinking a lot about his hands. I remember as
a kid thinking he had big, strong hands. He had an electrician's hands; a
carpenter's hands; a gardener's hands. I have memories of holding his hand as a
child. I remember taking his hand at my Aunt Rhonda's funeral. I think about
how he squeezed my hand tight when he arrived at dad's birthday party just
before I left to come here to Burundi.
I don't know what I would say if I were able to be there.
I've been thinking about how much he loved, how much he was loved. And I've
been thinking about how full of joy he must be right now, in heaven with
Grandma and Beulah and Aunt Rhonda. With Jesus, where there is no more pain and
no more cancer, where his hands are once again strong and he is whole. And as I
think about that, I am still sad, but I am also comforted and at peace.
Because cancer has not won, death is not the victor. Love
has won, through the blood of Christ. Jesus is the victor. So while he will be
missed, he is not lost. He is safe in the arms of our Saviour, held in the hands of another Carpenter. And although I
am another world away and can’t be with my family, I am also safe and at peace
in the arms of my Saviour. All of a sudden the size of the world does not seem
to matter as much as the size of my God and the strength of his arms.
We'll see you this weekend... Hope you're doing ok!
ReplyDelete